Sunday, January 27, 2013

Getting to Know Me The Famous Spinach Dip

It only seems natural that a first post would include some information about me and why I am starting a blog, so here goes.  My passions are family, food, decorating, traveling and entertaining, pretty much in that order, although there are days when the first and the second switch places.  But, I think we all have those days. 

I didn't study journalism in school, and I do not claim to be a writer, of any sort.  So if you are looking for some mind bending, thought provoking, grammatically correct material, this probably isn't it.  I just have an absolute love of food and decorating and want to share it with the people and this is a way for me to do that.

My husband is in the military and we move and travel quite extensively, which has given me the great opportunity to become inspired by many different cultures.  I have a love of anything French, which really shows itself in my decorating, but my style is overall pretty eclectic.  We have been to some amazing destinations, ate some incredible food and stayed at some of the quaintest little places all over Europe while being stationed in Belgium for over 4 years.

Moving around so much, we have made wonderful friends all over the country and Europe as well.  Over the years I have come to really enjoy entertaining.  One of the first things I ever made for company that still receives rave reviews, is my Spinach Artichoke Dip.  We have friends that despise spinach that actually request this dip.  I have a friend who is allergic to cheese and knowing this dip has cream cheese and parmesan in it still eats it anyway.  It is a really simple recipe, but it only seems natural that I begin here since this is one of the classics.  Hope you try it and enjoy it.


 
Spinach Artichoke Dip

1 16 oz bag frozen spinach
1 16 oz container sour cream
1 8 oz package of Cream Cheese, softened
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup shredded freshly ground parmesan (pregrated is ok, but it will not be quite as good)
1 6 oz jar of Artichoke hearts, each heart cut in half
4-8 dashes of hot sauce
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 small onion very finely diced
1/2 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
clean kitchen towel

Start off by defrosting spinach in the microwave until it is completely thawed, it normally takes about 3 minutes or so in a glass bowl.  Put all of the spinach on the clean kitchen towel, close up and squeeze the water out.  You want to squeeze it until it sticks together in a ball.  Place spinach in bowl and add in remaining ingredients.  Stir until well combined and pour into an oven safe baking dish or croc.  Cook on 350 for 45 to 55 minutes until heated all the way through.

Serve with baguette, Hawaiian bread, corn chips, pita chips and/or veggies


2 comments:

  1. Good job babe, its perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe Tara! Law student approved. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are greatly appreciated and will be posted very shortly after moderation. Thank you so much for stopping by.